GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 4861 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

eprobe
(Stranger )
11/22/14 05:37 PM
Creating a 3d terrain map Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I digitized USGS maps in a previous life, when computer memory was measured in MB. However, I was just involved in the production end of the business. I'm now trying to create a series of 3d terrain maps of central Utah. I've found a few free mapping tools on the net but each one requires some type of obscure formating. When I download material from the National Map, I get a whole set of maps with incomprehenisble extensions.

I would like to grab the elevation and USGS data from a region in southern Utah and then slap it in a mapping program that will display it as a 3d oblique map where I can exaggerate terrain features up to 10x (Google Maps only goes to 3x), and then I'd like to save it as a TIFF so I can label land features and trails in Photoshop. I don't have a master's degree in geographic information systems. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks so much in advance!

Confused in Salt Lake City

Jump to

techjobscafe

© 2020 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy PolicyAdvertise