Des Plaines, IL (August 3, 2022) URISA's Vanguard Cabinet is pleased to announce the results of the 2022 Student and Young Professional Digital Competition. Eligible participants were currently enrolled in a college or university, a recent graduate, or a young or emerging geospatial professional with fewer than five years of experience. The competition was limited to projects that utilize web and mobile platforms, such as ArcGIS Online, Tableau, Mapbox, or Power BI. Projects showcased the visualization functions of these platforms while also demonstrating knowledge and proficiency in spatial analytics, cartographic design, and/or geospatial techniques.
Project submissions were reviewed, and the finalists were invited to present to a panel of judges and enthusiastic URISA members on July 27, 2022.
- Judy Colby-George, GISP, Owner, Spatial Alternatives, Inc., Yarmouth, Maine - URISA Director
- Matt Gerike, PhD, GISP, Geospatial Program Manager, Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM), Richmond, Virginia - URISA Professional Education Committee Chair
- Brent Jones, PE, PLS, Global Manager, Land Records/Cadastre, Esri, Wakefield, Rhode Island - URISA President
Event Moderator: Josiah Burkett, Geographic Information Systems Analyst /Geospatial Team Lead, GeoTechVision, Kingston, Jamaica - URISA Vanguard Cabinet
The five finalists selected to present and the titles of their presentations were as follows:
- Naomi Yates, USA/California, Shasta College: “ The California Water Crisis”
- Ronney Phillips, University of North Texas, USA/Texas: “ Building a Low-Cost Air Quality Sensor Network ”
- Yashi Doshi, CEPT University, Gujarat, India: “ A Study Of Installing EV Charging Station In Gandhinagar ”
- Ishita Singh, CEPT University, Gujarat, India: “ Smart Urban Water Supply System ”
- Vinaya Thakur, CEPT University, Ahmedabad India: “ Solar Power….Brightening Up Your World ”
All presenters were awarded a complimentary one-year URISA membership.
The top three projects were presented by Naomi Yates, Ishita Singh, and Vinaya Thakur. These three individuals will receive a complimentary registration to GIS-Pro 2022 in Boise, Idaho; a $500 stipend for travel; and the opportunity to present their work live during the Lightning Talks session at the conference.
The full recording of the competition can be viewed at this link: https://youtu.be/bqxM_4WZRDw
The Vanguard Cabinet appreciates the time, effort, and contribution to the geospatial field made by all competition participants. We enthusiastically look forward to following their careers!
The Vanguard Cabinet (VC) is an advisory board made up of passionate, young (35 years of age or younger) geospatial professionals who strive to engage young practitioners, increase their numbers in the organization, and better understand the concerns facing these future leaders of the geospatial community. The VC's mission is to collaborate with URISA’s Board of Directors and URISA committees in creating and promoting programs and policies of benefit to young professionals and to enhance overall innovation, collaboration, networking, and professional development opportunities.
Executive Director – URISA