- Q4 net revenues $2.75 billion; gross margin 39.3%; operating margin 16.7%; net income $392 million
- FY net revenues $9.56 billion; gross margin 38.7%; operating margin 12.6%; net income $1,032 million
- Business outlook at mid-point: Q1 net revenues of $2.36 billion and gross margin of 38.0%
Geneva, January 23, 2020 - STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, reported U.S. GAAP financial results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2019. This press release also contains non-U.S. GAAP measures (see Appendix for additional information).
ST reported fourth quarter net revenues of $2.75 billion, gross margin of 39.3%, operating margin of 16.7%, and net income of $392 million or $0.43 diluted earnings per share.
Jean-Marc Chery, STMicroelectronics President & CEO, commented:
- “We closed 2019 with a solid fourth quarter sales and financial performance. Net revenues grew 7.9% sequentially, above the mid-point of our guidance of 5.0%, with all product groups contributing to the growth. Our gross margin was 39.3%, 110 basis points higher than the mid-point of our guidance, mainly due to better than expected manufacturing efficiencies and improved product mix. On a sequential basis, our operating margin was up 360 basis points to 16.7% and free cash flow increased to $461 million in the fourth quarter.
- “Our 2019 financial performance, with net revenues of $9.56 billion and an operating margin of 12.6%, is aligned with the full year expectations we provided in April 2019.
- “ST’s first quarter outlook, at the mid-point, is for net revenues of $2.36 billion, increasing year-over-year by 13.7% and decreasing sequentially by 14.3%; gross margin is expected to be 38.0%, including about 80 basis points of unsaturation charges.
- “For 2020, we plan to invest about $1.5 billion in CAPEX to support our strategic initiatives and revenue growth to progress towards our mid-term revenue ambition of $12 billion.”
Quarterly Financial Summary (U.S. GAAP)
|(US$ m, except per share data)||Q4 2019||Q3 2019||Q4 2018||Q/Q||Y/Y|
|Gross Margin||39.3%||37.9%||40.0%||140 bps||(70) bps|
|Operating Margin||16.7%||13.1%||16.8%||360 bps||(10) bps|
|Diluted Earnings Per Share||$0.43||$0.34||$0.46||26.5%||(6.5)%|