Industry’s First 3D TLC NAND e.MMC and First 256GB e.MMC Automotive Grade EFD Designed for Advanced Applications such as Autonomous Drive, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality and Advanced Infotainment
- Western Digital iNAND AT EM132 embedded flash drive is an automotive grade solution designed for car makers (OEMs) and tier-one system providers looking to expand storage for advanced features
- High capacity storage needs have shifted beyond map data and application software to support connected cars, ADAS, autonomous and safety features, increased sensors/compute power and Artificial Intelligence
SAN JOSE, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — May 9, 2019 — Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC) is addressing the automotive industry’s increasing need for storage by equipping vehicle manufacturers and system solution providers with the technology and capacity to support both current and future applications including e-cockpits, Artificial Intelligence (AI) databases, ADAS, advanced infotainment systems, and autonomous computers. As the first 256GB e.MMC using 64-Layer 3D NAND TLC flash technology in the automotive market, the new Western Digital® iNAND® AT EM132 EFD extends the life of e.MMC beyond 2D NAND to meet evolving application needs and growing capacity requirements.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190509005036/en/
Western Digital iNAND AT EM132 Embedded Flash Drive Designed for Automotive Applications
According to Neil Shah, partner and research director, Counterpoint Research, “Storage is one of the fastest growing semiconductor applications in a connected autonomous car. The advanced in-vehicle infotainment (IVI), AI and sensor-driven autonomous driving systems generate large amounts of data that needs to be processed and stored locally at the edge. The average capacity of storage required per vehicle is expected to balloon beyond 2TB by 2022.”
High capacity storage, typically used in cars for storing map data, application software and user information, is now finding its way into next-gen auto applications including data recorders, digital clusters, gateway, V2X communications, ADAS, AI and autonomous computers. This growing trend requires flash to be designed for extreme automotive environments, including temperature range up to 105°C, as well as meeting the quality and reliability requirements critical for these applications.
“High capacity storage with rigorous quality and reliability requirements is rapidly becoming the standard in the automotive sector,” said Oded Sagee, senior director, Devices, Western Digital. “This first-of-its-kind 3D TLC NAND e.MMC EFD is designed with the feature set and specifications to meet the demands of next-gen applications.”
The IATF16949 certified, AEC-Q100 compliant and adhering to the ISO26262 NAND flash Safety Mechanisms guidelines, iNAND AT EM132 EFD also encompasses a rich automotive feature set designed for intensive automotive workloads. Features include:
- Advanced health monitoring
- Thermal management
- Auto and manual read refresh
- Robust power management
- Data retention exceeding JEDEC standards
Using the most advanced data protection and error correction technologies, the Western Digital iNAND AT EM132 is designed specifically for product reliability.
- Product Brief
- Announcement Blog
- “Tweet this”: “#Automotive industry’s first high capacity 3D TLC NAND e.MMC EFD built to tackle autonomous and #connectedcar #data demands for OEMs and suppliers - launched today from @westerndigital”
- Quote: “High capacity storage with rigorous quality and reliability requirements is rapidly becoming the standard in the automotive sector,” said Oded Sagee, senior director, Devices, Western Digital. “This first-of-its-kind 3D TLC NAND e.MMC EFD is designed with the feature set and specifications to meet the demands of next-gen applications.”
About Western Digital
Digital creates environments for data to thrive. The company is
driving the innovation needed to help customers capture, preserve,
access and transform an ever-increasing diversity of data. Everywhere
data lives, from advanced data centers to mobile sensors to personal
devices, our industry-leading solutions deliver the possibilities of
data. Western Digital data-centric solutions are comprised of the
Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.